mobile menu Enquire now

Brexit and car transport

24 December 2019

The UK government seems to be leading much of the conversation around Brexit by setting environmental targets that exceed that of the European Union.

There’s no escaping the fact that this might impact car owners along the way with emissions targets.

If you regularly travel on the continent, transporting your car in and out of Europe may be a concern. You may also be wondering how easily you can drive in Europe after Brexit, too.

Most of the planned changes will affect the people transporting their cars in Europe by default. In this blog, we’re taking a look at the ways vehicle transportation could change after Brexit for you.

1. Changes to driving licence rules

Driving in Europe hasn’t been too tricky while Britain was part of the EU, and the website states that most of the rules remain the same for UK drivers within the EU and EEA.

You will, of course, need to take your driving licence and may also require International Driving Permits (IDP) if you plan on travelling outside of the UK and will be passing through multiple countries (except for Ireland).

The government’s own website advises that all cars should be wearing a GB sticker, even on any vehicles you wish to transport. These will be necessary, even if your number plate has a GB mark already.

2. Insurance

UK drivers who wish to drive in the EU or EEA will now be required to get a motor insurance green card. If you have driven in countries such as Switzerland or Russia before, you will already be familiar with these documents.

We recommend that you apply for your green card, at the very least, one month before you plan on travelling on non-UK roads so that you’re fully prepared.

Green cards are usually required to comply with international borders to prove you have car insurance and also ensures that you are protected in the event of a road traffic accident.

3. Towing a caravan or trailer

You will need to ensure that if you have fleet insurance or you plan on transporting multiple vehicles, you will need to show a motor insurance green card for each vehicle.

Fleet insurance usually applies to anyone (company or individual) wishing to regularly use their vehicles to transport goods or other vehicles abroad. Some countries also require a trailer to have its own insurance, so that needs to be worked out in advance.

Wrapping up

As you can see, most of the main changes with vehicle transportation will revolve around the legalities of each vehicle, each country visited, and each driver involved. For some, this may be a complicated or inconvenient set of changes, so why not let us do the heavy lifting for you?

We specialise in making the whole car transportation experience easy for you! We recommend you choose a car transportation company to take care of any of the extra hassles you may encounter after Brexit has gone through as we’ll be well-versed in the legal requirements involved.

Please note that the information in this blog is purely for information and may be subject to change. For more information on how driving or vehicle transportation could be affected after Brexit, we recommend reading the following articles.

Get in touch for more information

Contact us today for a quote.

Contact us

Web Design Northampton by New Edge